Library Contents Search the Library RV Tech Library Help Page Site Map About Us Tiffin RV Network TRVN Classifieds Campground Reviews Photo Gallery TRVN Store
Appliances Batteries Boondocking/Dry Camping Chassis Clubs & Forums Electrical Electronics Engines Exterior Maintenance Generators Heating & Air Conditioning Interior Maintenance Misc Items Operating Tips Plumbing Red Bay Safety & Health Storage Supplier Contacts Tires and Wheel Rims Towing Transmissions Weighing
Definition of RV Terms
Following are some of the more popular terms used in RVing and their definitions.
1. AC - Alternating Current electricity. Used for most household appliances.
2. Black Water - Black Water: Waste from the toilet.
3. Boondocking - Camping without use of external resources.
4. Class A RV - A type of RV manufactured on a large truck chassis. Distinguishable by the fact that the driving area can be accessed from the living space while standing.
5. Class B RV - A type of RV manufactured by converting a van into a self-contained camper. Usually retains the dimensions of the van, though the roof may be raised to accommodate standing.
6. Class C RV - A type of RV manufactured on a cut-away van chassis. Distinguished by the sleeping compartment over the van cab.
7. Converter - Electrical device that can change AC electricity to DC electricity.
8. D.C. - Direct Current electricity. Typically generated by vehicle alternators or solar panels. Used to power vehicle accessories.
9. Diesel Pusher or DP - A motor home, typically Class A, that is powered by as Diesel Engine mounted in the rear of the RV.
10. Dingy - Vehicle that is towed behind an RV.
11. Dump Station - Any approved area where RV waste tanks may be emptied.
12. Escapee - A member of the Escapee RV Club.
13. Fifth Wheel - A type of RV that is pulled by a pick-up truck using a trailer hitch mounted in the truck bed.
14. Full Timer - Someone who lives in their RV on a permenant basis.
15. Genset - See Generator
16. Fiver - See Fifth Wheel.
17. GAWR - Gross Axle Weight Rating - The manufacturer´s rating for the maximum allowable weight that an axle is designed to carry.
18. GCWR - Gross Combination Weight Rating. The maximum allowable weight of the combination of tow vehicle and trailer. It includes the weight of the vehicle, trailer/fifth-wheel or dinghy, cargo, passengers and a full load of fluids (water, propane, fuel, etc.).
19. Generator - A device used for producing AC electricity. Consisting of a motor and an electrical generator and powered by gasoline, diesel or propane.
20. Gray Water - Waste water from sinks and drains, may contain soap and food particles.
21. GTWR - Gross Trailer Weight Rating. Maximum allowable weight of a trailer, fully loaded with cargo and fluids.
22. GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Maximum allowable weight of a vehicle, fully loaded with cargo and fluids.
23. Inverter - Electrical device that changes DC electricity to AC Electricity.
24. Potable - A liquid that is suitable for drinking.
25. RV - Recreational Vehicle.
26. RVer - Any person who owns an RV.
27. Self-Contained - An RV capable of supplying all necessary living accommodations including water, heat, sleeping, cooking and waste disposal.
28. Shore Power - Electricity taken from a fixed, land based power source.
29. SKP - See Escapee
30. Toad - (Towed) Vehicle that is towed behind an RV.
31. Wannabe - (Want to be) Some one who wants to be a Full Time RVer.
32. Workamper - Any person who makes a living while camping (or RVing). Work may or may not be at a campsite.
Submitted by Mike Sundberg - 3/30/06
Absolutely No Affiliation exists between this group and Tiffin Motor Homes Inc or the Allegro Club. This website neither endorses or discourages the use or purchase of a Tiffin product. All references, suggestions, comments, etc. contained herein are the opinions/experiences of the posters and not those of Tiffin Motor Homes Inc. or the website administrators.